Join our research streams to help improve surgical care on the frontline
PanSurg is coordinating a wide variety of research projects to better understand the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare delivery and optimise our response.
Our projects rely on collaboration, so if you'd to get involved then we want to hear from you! See our projects below which we are recruiting for, or contact us. Click on each logo for more information about the specific projects.
PanSurg ColoQ is an international cross-sectional survey of current practice in the management of colorectal cancer. If you're a colorectal attending or consultant or regularly perform elective colorectal cancer resections in your practice we want to hear how COVID-19 has affected your management.
PREDICT is collecting data on the impact of COVID-19 on surgical services in the UK.
Our aims are to:
- create live datasets for surgical patients during the pandemic
- generate real-time risk prediction models to inform decision making for surgical patients.
- provide guidance on current and ongoing surgical practice based upon data collected through this initiative.
PanSurg REMOTE is working with the HoloLens™ from Microsoft to deploy a mixed-reality headset capability to aid in the response to COVID-19 across the full spectrum of care delivery and medical training.
The aims of the project are:
- to establish the safety, feasibility and efficacy of HoloLens™ in supporting the delivery of clinical care
- to develop and evaluate the use of HoloLens™ in the delivery of real-time and on-demand healthcare education, training and supervision
An emerging realtionship between the COVID-19 pandemic and obesity is explored in our COVesity research stream.
COVID-19 has a disproportionate mortality in patients with obesity/metabolic syndome. "Lock-down" has resulted in a huge decrease in phyical activity levels amongst the general population in combination with poor food choices. Bariatric surgery services have been suspended.
Are these factors combing to produce a perfect "COVesity" storm?
Interest in real-time syndromic surveillance to understand disease propagation has greatly increased. Authorities worldwide are seeking alternative data streams, such as social media or crowdsourcing efforts, that can be processed in real-time, using latest developments in Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing and Social Media Analysis.
REaltime DAta Synthesis and Analysis
This highly innovative project is a collaboration between Imperial College London, Amazon Web Services, Cloudwick, MirrorWeb and the PanSurg Collaborative. We’re leveraging AI and machine learning to develop a realtime data synthesis and analysis tool to aid in understanding the global COVID-19 datasphere.
We urgently need the help of data curators to drive this project. If you would like to contribute please get in touch using the form below.
Staff and SAfety eFfects of Epidemics
SSAFE is longitudinal survey of healthcare workers which aims to:
- investigate staff safety, psychological well-being, and burnout.
- create open-access data
- derive insights that assist workforce planning during and after the pandemic
- identify areas where healthcare workers may benefit from workplace wellbeing interventions.
We want to include all healthcare professionals in this project - doctors, surgeons, nurses, healthcare asssitants and allied healthcare professionals.
Impact of COVID-19 on Obesity Management Services in the UK
COMS-UK is a cross-sectional survey assessing the impact of COVID-19 on the delivery of bariatric services around the UK.
We want to involve all healthcare professionals caring for bariatric patients in the UK.
Consequences ON SUrgicaL Training from the COVID-19 Pandemic
The CONSULT-19 survey has been developed by trainees for trainees, to understand the impact COVID will have on our career progression.
This short survey allows us to better evaluate the loss of training through redeployment and cancellation of elective lists. Our findings will be shared with all relevant training bodies to help define training in the coming months.
PanSurg supports a variety of other COVID-19 research collaboratives around the world.
- CovidSurg: an international observational study of patients with COVID-19 who are undergoing surgery.
- COVIDTrauma: An orthopaedic research collaborative in Africa to capture the effect of COVID-19 pandemic on orthopaedic trauma services in Africa.
- OGAA Collaborative: Survey aiming to understand routine and current management of patients with oesophagogastric cancer.